You are here
Australia's Immigration Policy Brutal
Tuesday 3 May 2016
Cassy O'Connor MP to move—
That the House:—
(1) Notes with a heavy heart that a young Somali refugee has set herself alight on Nauru, the second refugee to self-immolate in the past week.
(2) Mourns the very recent death of a young Iranian man who was imprisoned on Nauru and who suffered burns to 90% of his body by his own hand.
(3) Expresses its deepest condolences to the man’s family.
(4) Recognises that these acts of extreme self-harm stem from pure desperation over Australia’s brutal immigration policies, which are supported by both the Liberal and Labor Parties nationally.
(5) Places full responsibility for these desperate acts on the shoulders of both the old parties who are in a perpetual race to the bottom on refugees, apparently regardless of the human toll.
(6) Demands that Australia close the Manus Island and Nauru detention centres before more lives are lost in our name.