You are here
Call for Liberal Government to Ban 1080
Rosalie Woodruff MP to move—
That the House:—
(1) Notes that two years after the ban to prevent wildlife killing from 1080 poison was instituted and then reversed by this Liberal Government, approvals for its use by farmers have spiked.
(2) Understands that research has showed tens of thousands of browsing animals and non-targeted species, such as quolls and bettongs, could have been killed by the 1.33kg of 1080 that has been approved for use since July 2015.
(3) Recognises that 1080 poison has been described by the RSPCA as abhorrent, with the animals poisoned suffering terribly painful deaths.
(4) Acknowledges that:—
(a) the Federally funded ‘Alternatives to 1080 Program’ report, which cost taxpayers $2.4 million, identified numbers of cost-effective measures to control browsing damage, without the need to resort to 1080; and
(b) the increased use of 1080 tarnishes Tasmania’s clean green brand for our products, food and tourism.
(5) Further understands that the use of 1080 poison is cruel and inhumane, and that there is no place for it in the modern world of farming.
(6) Calls on the Liberal Government to ban 1080 poison once and for all.