You are here
Call for Recovery Plan for Eastern Quoll
Parliamentary Activity - Thursday, 15 September 2016
Thursday 15 September 2016
Rosalie Woodruff MP to move—
That the House:—
(1) Notes with great sadness that the eastern quoll has been listed as endangered by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature.
(2) Understands that this animal was also listed as endangered by the Commonwealth Government in 2015.
(3) Realises that the population has crashed by 50 per cent in the past ten years.
(4) Further understands it has been affected by feral cat predation, dogs, road deaths, climate change and land use changes.
(5) Recognises that to help many of these species to survive, there needs to be major changes in forestry practices and that the Minister for Resources, Hon. Guy Barnett MP is refusing to make these changes to further his political ends.
(6) Calls on the Government to immediately list the eastern quoll as endangered in Tasmania, and to fund the development of a Recovery Plan and immediate action towards protecting it from extinction.