You are here
Call for a Tasmanian Women's Footy League
Wednesday 27 April 2016
NOTICE OF MOTION
Cassy O'Connor MP to move—
That the House:—
(1) Notes that football is a rare unifying force that bridges divides of class, geography, religion, ethnicity, political affiliation and gender.
(2) Understands that women's sport is becoming more and more popular and fairly funded as our female athletes show they are the equal of men on any sporting field.
(3) Commends the AFL on the introduction of a national women's competition beginning in 2017.
(4) Further notes the calls from the Federal and State Greens for Tasmania to be part of the women's AFL competition, so it would be a truly national competition.
(5) Further understands the State Government has a relationship with both the Hawthorn and North Melbourne football clubs, neither of which are Tasmanian teams.
(6) Calls on:—
(a) all members to stand by women in sport and our state identity by supporting a Tasmanian women's AFL team; and
(b) the Premier, Hon Will Hodgman MP, to help build the case for a Tasmanian team in the AFL women's league.