Cassy O'Connor MP | Greens Leader and Treasury spokesperson
The Liberal Government was given a very simple choice by MONA, embrace...
Greens Alternative Budget 2016: Phase Out Poker Machines
Parliamentary Activity - Wednesday, 1 June 2016
Wednesday 1 June 2016
Cassy O'Connor MP to move—
That the House:—
(1) Understands that poker machines leech funds from Tasmanian communities that can afford it the least and have caused profound harm to individuals, families and the children of poker machine addicts.
(2) Recognises there is no social or economic benefit to the State as a result of the proliferation of poker machines in pubs and clubs around Tasmania.
(3) Acknowledges that this Government is addicted to the revenue from poker machines.
(4) Further recognises that the Greens' Alternative Budget would phase out poker machines from pubs and clubs over five years.
(5) Notes that the Greens' policy is not only affordable, it would become cost neutral as less public money is required to tackle the multiple social costs caused by poker machine addiction.
(6) Calls on the Liberal Government to follow the Greens' lead and present a State Budget that isn’t dependent on the revenue and misery from the proliferation of poker machines in our poorest communities.