You are here
Hodgman Liberal Government Axed Australia's Best Water Testing Regime
Tuesday 3 May 2016
Andrea Dawkins MP to move—
That the House:—
(1) Notes TasWater is under pressure to modify its data publication to allow for an increase in publicly available information.
(2) Notes annual water data publishing is not in the best interests of the community.
(3) Notes of the 48 water catchments in Tasmania, only 11 have water management plans adopted, leaving the department working without a sustainable plan, when allocating water.
(4) Notes the Hodgman Liberal Government ceased a decade long water testing regime, which was the best in the country, relegating Tasmanians to be kept in the dark regarding pesticides in our ground water.
(5) Notes Kanamaluka/River Tamar is highly polluted with effluent and the many millions of dollars spent on raking and dredging has provided no proven benefit.
(6) Notes Hydro Tasmania is besieged with issues relating to dividend payments and energy speculation which have seen our lakes and dams emptied for profit over energy/water sustainability.
(7) Notes that surface water used for agriculture is taken under a complex system of riparian rights, old allocations as well as new systems under Tas Irrigation, ensuring there is no equity in irrigation for farmers.
(8) Notes aquatic health and water quality are vital to sustainable water management.
(9) Calls on the Hodgman Government to undertake a water governance review and adopt an integrated approach to water governance in Tasmania.