You are here
Liberal Government's Utter Stupidity on Climate Change
THURSDAY 7 April 2016
Cassy O’Connor On tomorrow to move—
That the House:—
(1) Notes that February 2016 was the hottest month on record across the globe, with temperatures spiking to an alarming degree.
(2) Recognises that February 2016 was the hottest month, at the end of the hottest year and the hottest decade in recorded human history.
(3) Acknowledges that Tasmania is currently in a serious energy crisis due in significant part to the Government actively ignoring meteorologists and climate scientists who predicted we would face a dry and hot summer.
(4) Further recognises the evidence to suggest that the Pacific Oyster Mortality Syndrome which is hurting Tasmanian oyster growers is the result of warming waters, a consequence of climate change.
(5) Accepts that the bushfires which devastated Tasmania's ancient Gondwanan wilderness in January and February 2016 were the result of climate change and significantly increased incidence of dry lightning strikes.
(6) Further notes:—
(a) the leaked emails from CSIRO management that express a desire for a "clean cut" of public interest climate research, which would result in 120 climate scientists losing their jobs and acknowledges the utter stupidity of cuts to climate science; and
(b) the Government's feeble attempt at addressing climate change, the single biggest economic, social and environmental threat facing the State, with their so-called Draft Climate Change Action Plan.
(7) Understands that if Tasmania is to tackle climate change, the Liberal Government's draft action plan will need to be rewritten with a focus on investment in renewables, protection of our carbon rich forests, an end to any contemplation of burning forests for energy as well as strong mitigation and adaptation measures across all sectors of the Tasmanian community and economy.
(8) Refers the Minister for Environment, Parks and Heritage, Hon Matthew Groom MP, to the Greens’ response to the Draft Climate Change Action Plan.