Ms O'CONNOR (Denison - Leader of the Greens) –
Madam Speaker, it gives me great pleasure to present the Tasmanian Greens' fully...
Liberal Member for Braddon Shows Ignorance on Forestry Burns
Parliamentary Activity - Tuesday, 26 April 2016
Tuesday 26 April 2016
NOTICE OF MOTION
Cassy O'Connor MP to move—
That the House:—
(1) Notes the laughable interpretation of the Green’s fuel reduction burn policy by the Liberal Member for Braddon, Mrs Joan Rylah MP on the Greens' fuel reduction burn policy.
(2) Understands the Greens' concerns for the respiratory health of Tasmanians stems from the practice of high intensity Forestry regeneration burns.
(3) Notes that once again Mrs Rylah has misrepresented the facts to the public on Greens policy.
(4) Acknowledges that while the vast majority of Mrs Rylah's statement was hyperbole and nonsense, she was right about one thing, the Greens were devastated and angry that more than 20,000 hectares of Tasmania's World Wilderness Heritage Area (TWWHA) burned this summer.
(5) Further notes that:—
(a) the Department of Parks and Wildlife Services is not adequately funded for its TWWHA fuel reduction burns program and that their methodology document acknowledges the current program ignores impacts on ecology and biodiversity and urges that further work needs to be done in this area; and
(b) this work has not been done.
(6) Calls on the Member for Braddon, Mrs Rylah to spend less time on her Dorothy Dixer schedule, and more time researching her facts before she makes public comments.