Cassy O'Connor MP | Greens' Leader and Forests spokesperson
Today's government announcement TasPorts will be entering into a...
Log Trucks Full of Native Forest Products Ruining Hobart's Amenity
Parliamentary Activity - Monday, 19 September 2016
Tuesday 20 September 2016
Cassy O'Connor MP to move—
That the House:—
(1) Recognises the Liberals have made a decision to allow 180 000 cubic metres of native forest timber products to be shipped through the port of Hobart at Macquarie Point each year.
(2) Acknowledges these exports will receive a substantial Commonwealth subsidy through the Freight Equalisation Scheme.
(3) Notes that these exports will mean thousands of extra log truck movements through the city of Hobart.
(4) Agrees this will have a negative impact on the amenity of locals and on the visitor experience.
(5) Calls on the Liberals to put the amenity of Hobart and the ongoing growth of our visitor economy before the unsustainable, publicly subsidised export of non-FSC native forest products.
(6) Rejects the increased heavy vehicle traffic on city streets and the use of Macquarie Point as an export base for an unviable, destructive native forest logging industry.