You are here
Premier Risking Tasmania's Export Market
THURSDAY 7 April 2016
Cassy O’Connor On tomorrow to move—
That the House:—
(1) Recognises the importance of diversity in Tasmania's export markets to ensure the State is not putting all its export eggs in one basket and to build resilience into the Tasmanian economy.
(2) Notes that the Premier, Hon Will Hodgman MP, is embarking on the fourth trade delegation from Tasmania to China in the first two years of his Government's term.
(3) Agrees that while the trading relationship with China is important for Tasmania, it is not the State's only important trading partner, with exports to Taiwan, Vietnam, Korea and Thailand growing substantially in recent years.
(4) Further notes that it is more than a decade since a Tasmanian trade delegation was sent to Taiwan, Tasmania's second biggest export market after China.
(5) Further agrees that the Tasmanian Government must prioritise sending a trade delegation to Taiwan to strengthen this vital trading relationship on behalf of Tasmanian producers.