You are here
Salmon Farm Expansion Planned for the Mercury Passage and Beyond
1437 Ms Woodruff to move—That the House:—
(1) Notes the fin-fish farming expansion by Tassal into the east coast marine
environment, commencing at Okehampton Bay, has been widely rejected by local
residents and shack owners, tourism operators, existing mussel and oyster farmers,
abalone divers and recreational fishers.
(2) Acknowledges the revelations on Four Corners that a document, dated 2016, stated
Spring Bay Seafoods would facilitate Tassal’s expansion into the Mercury Passage.
(3) Recognises this confirms the widely held fear that the Okehampton Bay lease is just a
wedge to expand Tassal’s future growth into the Mercury Passage and beyond.
(4) Understands, these revelations highlight the conflict of interest of the Minister for
Primary Industries and Water, Hon. Jeremy Rockliff MP who also has control over
decisions about promoting this industry’s growth to double its current size.
(5) Recognises that some salmon companies are telling the Minister for Primary
Industries and Water, our clean green brand is on the line and that the health of our
marine environment supports thousands of rural aquaculture jobs.
(6) Calls on the Government to place a moratorium on fish farm expansion until the
approval of new salmon farm developments are moved into our independent resource
management planning system. (16 November 2016)