Dr WOODRUFF (Franklin) - Madam There is a lot to say about this announcement by the minister and I will return to the Premier's reference...
You are here
Selfie Challenge to Raise Awareness for Dementia and Alzheimer's
Parliamentary Activity - Wednesday, 21 September 2016
Wednesday 21 September 2016
Andrea Dawkins MP to move—
That the House:—
(1) Notes that 21 September 2016 is World Alzheimer’s Day, coinciding with September being Dementia Awareness Month, and which includes a series of events organised by Alzheimer’s Australia.
(2) Recognises that nationally there are over 350,000 people living with dementia, and 1.2 million people involved in caring for someone with the condition.
(3) Acknowledges the research undertaken by Alzheimer’s Australia which revealed that compared to the general public, people with dementia are more than twice as likely to have high rates of loneliness, and that their carers are also significantly lonelier.
(4) Notes that the theme for 2016’s Dementia Awareness Month is aimed at raising awareness of the support and services available for people living with dementia and their families and carers and is titled ‘You are not alone’.
(5) Notes further that to raise awareness about the loneliness associated with dementia and caring for those who live with it, Alzheimer’s Australia have launched a ‘selfie challenge’, which encourages the community to upload a selfie to social media with the campaign hashtag #Dementia2016.
(6) Congratulates the Bigger Hearts campaign in the Victorian town of Ballarat for its initiative to make the town dementia-friendly by encouraging local businesses and services to make connections with people living with dementia and support them to continue to go about daily living.
(7) Recognises that family members caring for loved ones are saving the Federal Government more than $40 billion every year, yet receive little financial or emotional support.
(8) Congratulates all involved in the care and support, particularly the many unpaid volunteers and family members, who give so much to ensure people living with dementia and Alzheimer’s have a high quality life with value and purpose.