You are here
State and Federal Liberals Working Against Protection of Aboriginal Heritage
Tuesday 3 May 2016
Cassy O'Connor MP to move—
That the House:—
(1) Notes the Takayna/Tarkine region is one of the world’s richest cultural heritage sites, with a human story that dates back some 40,000 years.
(2) Notes that, in recognition of its cultural value, the fragile coastline is on the National Heritage Register.
(3) Notes the Federal Court judgement from Justice Mortimer, which upheld the closure of tracks in the Tarkine to protect Aboriginal heritage from destructive off-road vehicles, and the policy of the Hodgman Government to re-open tracks.
(4) Notes the Minister for Mining, Hon Adam Brooks MP has announced the State Government would appeal the decision of Justice Mortimer in the Tarkine 4WD tracks case, and that this will come at considerable public expense.
(5) Notes the Premier, Hon Will Hodgman MP who has said he wants to reset the relationship with Aboriginal Tasmanians, did not have the courage to make the announcement himself.
(6) Notes the Federal Environment Minster, Hon Greg Hunt MP, has also jumped on the redneck bandwagon, and has agreed to support the Tasmanian Government’s appeal against the Federal Court judgment.
(7) Expresses dismay and mistrust in the actions of our Premier, Hon Will Hodgman MP and the nation’s ‘Environment Minister’ Hon Greg Hunt MP to actively work against the protection of the Takayna/Tarkine, showing disrespect to Tasmania’s first people.