Wednesday 1 June 2016
Ms WOODRUFF (Franklin) - Mr Deputy Speaker, I rise to correct the record. The Minister for...
State Budget 2016: Ferguson Pushing Health System to Brink of Collapse
Parliamentary Activity - Tuesday, 31 May 2016
Tuesday 31 May 2016
Rosalie Woodruff MP to move—
That the House:—
(1) Notes the Minister for Health, Hon Minister Ferguson MP’s promise to fix the broken health system so that Tasmanians can have access to the best quality health care.
(2) Understands that despite the back-on-track rhetoric, the Minister for Health has attempted to hide the details of his ongoing evisceration of Tasmania’s public hospitals deep within the budget papers.
(3) Further notes that for 2015/16, the Policy and Parameter Statement in Budget Paper One includes a ‘Policy’ item ‘Tasmanian Health Service Additional Funding’ of $10 million, and a $20.9 million payment that was made to the Tasmanian Health Services (THS) listed under the Parameter statement.
(4) Further understands that when that $30.9 million in additional payments is added to the THS’ 2015/16 Budget, this means it will receive $18.5 million less in 2016/17 than the previous year.
(5) Calls on the Minister for Health to explain:—
(a) why he has cut the 2016/17 funding to our hospitals by $18.5 million – equating to approximately $50 million in real terms when wage, drug and basic equipment cost pressures are taken into account; and
(b) how he is going to fix the health system, when he has pushed it to the brink of collapse by taking more money from it.