You are here
Support for Equality in Sport
THURSDAY 7 April 2016
Cassy O’Connor On tomorrow to move—
That the House:—
(1) Recognises the 2014 worldwide 'Out on the Fields' study, found that 78% of respondents believed being openly lesbian, gay or bisexual as a sports fan at an event would not be safe.
(2) Understands that the same study found that 46% of respondents believed they would not be accepted in sporting culture.
(3) Notes that in response to the 'Out on the Fields' study the Australian Human Rights Commission and the Australian Sports Commission partnered to commission the Pride in Sport Index, which now monitors and measures the impact of inclusion initiatives.
(4) Commends the work of Beyond Blue ambassador and Greens candidate for Higgins, Jason Ball, for his work in reducing homophobia within the Australian Football League (AFL).
(5) Congratulates the sports brand, Skins, for supporting Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) Australians in sports communities with their "#rainbowlaces" campaign, which encourages sports men and women and fans to lace up with rainbow laces to show their support for equality in sport.
(6) Encourages all members to wear rainbow laces from time to time and to do everything within their capacity as community leaders to tackle homophobia in all sporting arenas.