Cassy O’Connor MP | Greens Leader
The Liberals in government are well known for weasel words, but their performance in Parliament today was one for the ages.
This morning we saw:
- The Premier refusing to admit he provided yet more incorrect information to the House - despite video and written evidence he did.
- The Premier then trying to pretend he said something he never said.
- More shameless denials from the Liberals about the Premier previously misleading the House – again, despite clear evidence.
- The Treasurer failing to answer a crucial question about whether the Government attempted to use the COVID-19 Provision to fund their election promises.
- The Treasurer then attempting to deflect scrutiny by misquoting and misrepresenting statements made by the Greens.
What the Parliament witnessed was a masterclass in dishonesty, evasion, and a contempt for basic democratic principles. We’re used to seeing slippery language from the Liberals, but this was appalling even by their low standards.
Unfortunately for the Liberals, their aggressive reaction to simple matters of scrutiny is in itself revealing. Anyone watching the Parliament will now be wondering what they are so desperately trying to hide.
Tasmanians deserve real answers and genuine transparency. Unfortunately, the only thing transparent about the Liberals is their longstanding loose relationship with the truth.