Wednesday 17 August 2016
Cassy O'Connor MP to move—
That the House:—
(1) Acknowledges with shame that Australia has been detaining asylum seekers offshore on Nauru and Manus Island under the direction of the Federal Liberal Government.
(2) Notes the Guardian's exposé published on the 11 August 2016, known as "the Nauru files", which stemmed from leaked documents about Australia's offshore detention facility.
(3) Recognises the exposé contains over 2,000 documents alleging rape and violent assaults, including of children, repeated sexual harassment, severe mental health problems, often resulting in self-harm or attempted suicide and children writing about wanting to die.
(4) Expresses its shame that this punitive, damaging detention regime is happening in Australia’s name.
(5) Understands the success of the #LetThemStay campaign, initiated by GetUp.
(6) Supports GetUp in their new #BringThemHere campaign, to close the camps on Nauru and Manus Island and bring those tortured individuals to safety on Australian soil.