Cassy O'Connor MP to move—
That the House:—
(1) Acknowledges that the Ashley Youth Detention Centre represents a manifestly failed model for dealing with juvenile offenders.
(2) Notes that the Government has announced an intention to switch to a therapeutic model in Ashley.
(3) Raises the concern that past attempts at reform have met with resistance, and that the issues with Ashley are too extensive to resolve with simple reforms that don’t address the fundamental issue of a youth justice model and outdated facility that too often is a pathway to adult prison, doing nothing to keep our community safer.
(4) Acknowledges that meaningful, successful reform requires extensive reinvention of the way we approach juvenile justice.
(5) Agrees that the core philosophy and practice of the Missouri model, which focuses on rehabilitation, respectful relationships between residents and staff, and building capacity to re-enter the community, are paramount for successful reintegration.
(6) Recognises that these principles are not the practice at Ashley Youth Detention Centre.
(7) Calls on the Government to adopt the Greens’ policy on Ashley which is modelled on the world most successful approach to Juvenile justice, the Missouri model.