That this House:
1. Acknowledges the prodigious rise from part time muso/bar tender to indie heroine of Tasmania’s music scene of Courtney Barnett in winning the APRA song writer of the year award;
2. Notes that this follows on from her four Aria awards in 2015;
3. Recognises that Ms Barnett’s ability to turn an everyday story into an international success is unparalleled;
4. Acknowledges that the programmers of ‘A Festival Called Panama’ picked a winner for their 2015 festival when Ms Barnett headlined the event;
5. Recognises that the government must restore arts funding to Tasmanian arts organisations in the wake of the shambolic cuts to the Australia Council to foster arts in Tasmania;
6. Further, that this House:
a. Calls for adequate funding to Tasmania’s state schools to ensure crowd funding does not become the go-to way to fund their Arts programmes and to provide for opportunities so that any young Courtney Barnetts on the island get their chance to shine.