Ms Dawkins to move—That the House:—
(1) The Federal Minster for Education and Training has flagged a change in the availability of VET FEE Help for creative courses.
(2) Of the 70 creative courses now available, only 13 will have possible funding support under the new criteria.
(3) With funding capped at $10,000, whilst many other courses are capped at $15,000, there is a clear deterrent for those wishing to study creative subjects.
(4) The 2015 CEDA report titled “Australia’s future workforce” claimed that 40% of the jobs available now will likely be transformed by automation, and that the jobs of the future have not been invented yet.
(5) In order to imagine those future jobs creativity is the key. Art subjects must be considered as crucial to imagining future work and must be considered more favourably in the hierarchy of subjects.
(6) Calls on the Minister for Education and Training, Hon. Jeremy Rockliff MP, to communicate with Federal counterparts to reverse this decision and to highlight the importance of creativity in future work participation.