That the House:—
(1) Acknowledges that the very real and dangerous increase in Crystalline Methamphetamine (Ice) use in Tasmania is now strongly suggestive of an epidemic.
(2) Notes that:-
(a) after handing responsibility for developing a response to this issue to the under-resourced community sector in 2015, the Government has done almost nothing to respond to ice abuse; and
(b) the “Everybody’s Business” plan does not appear to have met its June 2016 deadlines.
(3) Acknowledges that the annual reports from various sources released this year are emphasising that this issue is not going away, and that there is a high level of concern at the impacts of this drug on addicted people, their families, and the wider community.
(4) Accepts the recent reports that have identified chronically under-resourced rehabilitation facilities and unacceptable waiting periods of up to two months.
(5) Expresses alarm at the Government’s inaction on this issue, given it has had two years to implement meaningful reforms.
(6) Calls on the Minister for Health, Hon Michael Ferguson MP, to take this issue seriously and, as a priority, examine the need for treatments support and rehabilitation facilities, and to fund them where they are most required.