Wednesday 17 August 2016
Rosalie Woodruff MP to move—
That the House:—
(1) Understands that after five years of steady improvement, the cost of staff overtime at Risdon Prison ballooned to $4.5 million in the 2015/16 financial year.
(2) Acknowledges this situation results from a shortfall in permanent staff, with unions stating there have been up to 35 holes in Risdon’s roster on a daily basis.
(3) Notes with concern that 22 staff left the prison service in 2015, up from an average of 12 in the previous period.
(4) Recognises that staff shortfalls:—
(a) put at risk staff and inmate safety; and
(b) risks the need to lock down parts of the prison on a daily basis to manage inmates, increasing the tension in the prison population, and leading to more incidents.
(5) Calls on the Government to immediately recruit additional staff to reduce the amount of overtime worked, make our prison safer for staff and inmates, and save taxpayers from having to foot significant overtime bills.