Andrea Dawkins MP to move—
That the House notes:—
(1) In 2015 the Prime Minister, Hon Malcolm Turnbull MP said the Government was considering funding the crucial years five and six of Gonski but that funding has failed to materialise in last night’s budget and the Tasmanian Government is now left with a $132M black hole in education.
(2) Targeted funding will increase the skills and learning potential of the Tasmanian students who are struggling to meet benchmarks and should be valued by Federal and State Governments.
(3) With $152M cut from higher education participation programs, the link from high school through to tertiary study will now have to be filled with increased state based programs.
(4) Although we welcome a hold on deregulation of universities, leaving the 20% funding cuts to universities on the table is not welcome and will not contribute to the clever economy; it will only contribute to more destabilisation within the sector.
(5) The VET FEE fiasco has been a debacle and should sound a warning that deregulating universities is a threat to the higher education sector, its viability and its reputation.
(6) Calls on the Government to confirm that funding years 5 and 6 of Gonski remain a priority, so that Tasmanian students are able to receive the support they require to participate fully in their communities.