Rosalie Woodruff MP to move—
That the House:—
(1) Notes that the Federal Liberal’s Budget:—
(a) gives $7.7 billion in subsidies to polluting fossil fuel companies;
(b) retains Tony Abbott’s $1 billion cut to the Australian Renewable Energy Agency; and
(c) gives $0 to support workers and communities to transition out of fossil fuels.
(2) Recognises this Budget makes it clear that the Federal Liberal Government are backing the big polluters while moving to curtail investment in a future powered by renewable energy.
(3) Understands that Tasmania’s energy crisis has exposed the need for our State to secure a renewable future through a strategy to drive investment in new renewable generation capacity.
(4) Acknowledges that:—
(a) the Carbon tax period showed us how federal policies can create conditions to stimulate investment in renewable energy generation in Tasmania;
(b) policy changes and resulting uncertainty in business conditions since the Federal Liberal Party has been in government have caused investments in renewable energy projects to stall; and
(c) the shadow of uncertainty around the future of the Renewable Energy Target, the Australian Renewable Energy Agency and the Clean Energy Finance Corporation, is making getting finance for Tasmanian projects harder.
(5) Further understands the Australian Greens propose to:—
(a) increase our national renewable energy target to 90% by 2030;
(b) increase the guaranteed funding for the Clean Energy Finance Corporation to $30 billion over ten years; and
(c) reverse the $1 billion in Budget cuts to the Australian Renewable Energy Agency.
(6) Calls on the Liberal Government to lobby their Federal colleagues for sensible Federal policies to assist Tasmania in securing adequate renewable energy so that Tasmania never again experiences an energy crisis.