Cassy O'Connor MP to move—
That the House:—
(1) Acknowledges the scientific and meteorological research that's been undertaken at the Australian Antarctic Division Base on Macquarie Island since 1948.
(2) Recognises the key scientific and strategic reasons for maintaining a year round presence on Macquarie Island.
(3) Notes the recent decision of the Australian Antarctic Division in response to savage Federal funding cuts to only have a presence on the island in the summer.
(4) Welcomes the announcement of Federal Environment Minister, Hon. Josh Frydenberg MP, of a review to examine a continuing year-round presence on Macquarie Island.
(5) Further notes that most of the current structures on the base are well past their use-by date.
(6) Acknowledges the real opportunity to invest in new facilities, particularly as the existing base is subject to regular inundation.
(7) Understands that investing in new facilities provides a significant environmental benefit and would lessen the existing footprint on the island.
(8) Strongly urges Minister Frydenberg to commit to allocating funds now, for an upgraded and more modern base for Antarctic and Southern Ocean science in the future.