Dr Woodruff to move—That the House:—
(1) Notes that an estimated 250 people packed the Triabunna Community Hall on Sunday, 5 March 2017 at a public meeting about the Government’s approval of a Tassal fish farm on the pristine East Coast.
(2) Understands that, by their own words, the meeting comprised local residents, shack owners, recreational fishers, divers, several ex-salmon farmers, owners of commercial fishing businesses, ex-Tassal employees, marine biologists, and tourism business operators.
(3) Accepts that, on a show of hands from the hall, 4 people expressed their support for salmon farming at Okehampton Bay, and the remaining more than 200 raised their hand against.
(4) Realises the pretence that this fishing industry expansion has widespread community support is shown to be a lie.
(5) Acknowledges that two State Greens MPs were present at the meeting, but not one Liberal or Labor MP, State or Federal, attended to hear community concerns.
(6) Understands the meeting resolved to call on Minister Rockliff to reverse his approval of fin-fish farming at Okehampton Bay.
(7) Calls on the Government to respect the will of the community and act to end the expansion of fish farming on the east coast.