NOTICE OF MOTION
Cassy O'Connor MP to move—
That the House:—
(1) Recognises that February 2016 smashed a century of global temperature records by a stunning margin according to data released by NASA.
(2) Acknowledges that temperatures in February 2016 were 1.35 degrees Celsius warmer than average temperatures for the month, prompting usually cautious climate scientists to describe the situation humanity is in as a 'climate emergency'.
(3) Notes that atmospheric carbon levels are now at 404 parts per million and climbing and that on this trajectory, warming will be between 4-6 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels by the turn of the century.
(4) Agrees that the climate is changing much faster than scientists had predicted and that this requires fossil fuels be kept in the ground, and for the coal locked in the Galilee Basin to stay there.
(5) Strongly supports our Pacific neighbours in calling for fossil fuels to be kept in the ground, and for a moratorium on all new coal mines.
(6) Demands that the Hodgman Government deliver a climate mitigation and adaptation plan that reflects our responsibility as global citizens and supports Australia's binding commitment under the Paris Agreement to be part of a global push to limit warming to 2 degrees above pre-industrial levels, with an aspiration to keep warming to 1.5 degrees.