That the House:
1. Understands that Housing Tasmania’s waiting lists were at their lowest level in a decade under the previous Labor-Green Government;
2. Notes with shame that in just over a year of ‘stable majority Government’, the Minister for Human Services, Hon Jacquie Petrusma MP has presided over a massive 43.5% jump in the housing waiting list;
3. Recognises that the 43.5% increase equates to an extra 894 people – Tasmanian pensioners, young families, homeless youths and victims of family violence – who have been left out in the cold;
4. Accepts that injecting new capital dollars into the Housing Fund would help to address the escalating waiting list and also provide an economic boost to the construction industry;
5. Further understands that while the previous Government made provision for 9,500 free energy efficiency upgrades, retrofitting of property and the construction of 7 star homes, the Liberal Government has made no commitment to energy efficiency to bring down power bills for low income Tasmanians; and
6. Acknowledges with shame that not only does the 2015-16 State Budget do little – if anything – to address the escalating Housing waiting list, it also delivers no energy efficiency measures, which are acknowledged in the community sector as making a real difference to the cost of living of Tasmanians in need.