Ms O’Connor to move—That the House:—
(1) That in May, 2013 the concentration of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere reached 400 parts per million for the first time in millions of years.
(2) Tasmania was one of the last places on earth to reach 400 parts per million for the first time in May, 2016.
(3) In September, 2016, during a month where greenhouse gas concentrations are usually at their lowest, the global concentration was still 400 parts per million.
(4) Scientists have confirmed that global greenhouse gas concentrations are almost certainly not going to fall below this threshold in our lifetime.
(5) Calls on the Premier, Hon. Will Hodgman MP, to show real leadership by:—
(a) restoring the independent Climate Action Council and the Ministry for Climate Change;
(b) progressing the long delayed climate action plan;
(c) developing real, meaningful emissions reduction targets;
(d) putting climate action back on the agenda as core Government business; and
(e) openly opposing the unscientific and destructive climate deniers within his party.