That this House notes:
1. The recently announced tripartite position of the Federal Greens, Labor and Liberal MPs to legalise the production of cannabis for medicinal purposes;
2. The overwhelming endorsement by the national population, with 91 per cent of a recent Morgan poll indicating support for such a move;
3. That the strongest support for the legalisation of medicinal marijuana came from the 50-plus age groups, with 94 per cent of that cohort in favour;
4. That 82 per cent of Tasmanians surveyed indicated they were also supportive of such legislation;
5. The endorsement by the Medical Cannabis Users Association of Tasmania and support of the Federal government’s move to ease restrictions on the production and use of medicinal marijuana;
6. The recommendations of the Association that a compassionate cannabis access scheme be developed in Tasmania as soon as possible, which would allow interim access and protection for patients currently using the treatment; and
7. The further recommendation by the Association that a patient-centric approach is taken by State governments when developing and rolling out legislation for the production and distribution of medical cannabis.