Thursday, 4 June 2015
Cassy O’Connor MP on tomorrow to move -
That this House:
1. Notes that yesterday was Mabo Day, which marked the 23rd anniversary of the landmark court case that made land rights possible for aboriginal Australians;
2. Understands that while this was historic and meant our first Australians' could "possess, occupy, use and enjoy" culturally-significant land, it did not mean the same for the Tasmanian Aboriginal community;
3. Acknowledges that because Tasmanian aboriginals were removed from their land, they could not legally demonstrate that continued cultural use;
4. Recognises that due to our own horrific history, it is more important than ever that we can initiate land returns through our Parliament; and
5. Encourages the Premier Hodgman, as Minister for Aboriginal Affairs, to ensure that this is high on his agenda when it comes to resetting the relationship with the Tasmanian Aboriginal community.