That this house:
- Notes the rapid advancements occurring in battery technology that will allow households to generate and store their own energy.
- Notes the advantages of such storage for Tasmanians who are not already connected to the electricity grid or who are receiving declining payments from feed-in tariffs.
- Notes the potential for such technology to disrupt the centralised supply of electricity in Tasmania through the exit of customers from the grid and subsequent rise in distribution costs for remaining customers.
- Calls on the government to ensure that TasNetworks and Aurora Energy work together and with communities to take advantage of this new technology to provide benefits and reduce costs for all electricity customers.
- Calls on the government to investigate options to ensure that Tasmanians who choose to go off-grid are not unreasonably penalised for their decision.