Tuesday 26 April 2016
NOTICE OF MOTION
Rosalie Woodruff MP to move—That the House:—
(1) Notes that according to the Liberal’s Energy Supply Plan and recent public comments of the Minister for Energy, Hon Matthew Groom MP, 200MW of diesel generation was to be installed and operational by the end of April 2016.
(2) Acknowledges that at 9.15am on 26 April 2016, only 85MW of diesel generation was being used.
(3) Calls on the Minister for Energy to explain how he is going to meet his 200MW target in the next four days?
(4) Understands that according to the Minister for Energy, the return of the 58MW Trent unit has brought the Tamar Valley Power station’s operational gas generation output up to its full 386MW.
(5) Further acknowledges that at 9.15am on 26 April 2016, only 304MW of the 386MW was being used.
(6) Further calls on the Minister for Energy to explain where the missing 82MW of his gas fired generation is?
(7) Further understands that in June 2016, the Tamar Valley Power Station’s 210MW combined cycle generator has to be taken out of use for essential maintenance.
(8) Recognises the Minister for Energy has steadfastly refused to seek electricity reductions from government (including its departments and businesses), local councils, small businesses and Tasmanian households who combined account for nearly 50% of energy use in the State.
(9) Further acknowledges that:—
(a) the Minister’s Energy Supply Plan risks pushing up electricity prices in the future, with the greatest impact on low-income Tasmanians; and
(b) the Energy Supply Plan is costing Tasmanians, the ultimate owners of Hydro Tasmania, hundreds of millions of dollars.
(10) Further calls on the Minister for Energy to put in place policies to enable the cost effective reduction in electricity consumption by Government (including its departments and businesses), local councils, small businesses and residential users.