That the House:—
(1) Recognises the 31st Summer Olympics are being held in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.
(2) Notes that for the first time there is a refugee team competing, with 10 individuals who have fled from conflict in South Sudan, Ethiopia and Syria.
(3) Congratulates the 421 Australian athletes, and the 12 who hail from Tasmania.
(4) Further notes that 214 of our athletes are women.
(5) Understands equity in sport is a reflection of our culture and society and that community attitudes are often shaped by what is demonstrated on the big screen and in popular culture.
(6) Congratulates all the athletes who overcame many obstacles, some on the track and others off, to represent their country at the highest level.