Wednesday, 27 May 2015
Cassy O’Connor MP on tomorrow to move -
That the House:
1. Congratulates our close Pacific neighbour, Samoa, on the agreement to build the country's second windfarm;
2. Understands that with the construction of this valuable infrastructure Samoa is on track to reach its target of being 100 percent renewable by 2017;
3. Recognises that global warming and rising sea levels are already impacting on our Pacific neighbours, as evidenced by coastal inundation across islands of the region and the devastation caused by Cyclone Pam in Vanuatu;
4. Applauds plans for the establishment of a Pacific Climate Change Centre to be housed in the Apia-headquarters of the Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP); and
5. Acknowledges that while our neighbours in New Zealand, China and Japan helped establish both projects for the small island nation, Australia is also morally obliged to reduce its own emissions so Samoa and its neighbours stand a fighting chance.