That this House:
1. Agrees that Tasmania is the safest state in the nation.
2. Notes the release of the Sentencing Advisory Council draft report into the Hodgman Liberals’ policy to abolish suspended sentences.
3. Acknowledges the Council’s warning that if suspended sentences are abolished without non-custodial alternatives, Tasmania’s prison population could triple.
4. Recognises that all the evidence shows suspended sentences are an important mechanism for preventing crime and keeping our community safer.
5. Calls on the Liberals to abandon their populist and ill-considered policy to abolish suspended sentences.