Cassy O’Connor MP - On tomorrow to move -
That the House
(1) Notes that the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area (TWWHA) is a natural and cultural treasure of global significance;
(2) Recognises the outstanding universal values of the TWWHA occur in its primitive flora, highland vegetation, rainforests, tall eucalypt forests, buttongrass moorlands, glaciated landscapes, spectacular and intricate karst cave systems, habitats for rare, unique or threatened fauna and flora, coastal landforms, rivers, lakes and wetlands, and ancient Aboriginal cultural heritage.
(3) Agrees that the current Expressions of Interest (EOI) process for commercial development in the TWWHA has led to substantial, development-driven changes to the World Heritage Management Plan, that it is a threat to wilderness and cultural values, and lacks transparency
(4) Acknowledges the U.N. World Heritage Committee’s expressed strong concern over commercial exploitation of the TWWHA and called on the Tasmanian Government to develop a Tourism Master Plan.
(5) Agrees that the Expressions of Interest process is improper and pre-emptive and that it must cease until a comprehensive tourism Master Plan that prioritises wilderness and cultural heritage protection, is developed and delivered.