That this House:
1. Notes that tomorrow, the 5th June is United Nations World Environment Day;
2. Notes that this year’s theme is “Seven Billion Dreams. One Planet. Consume with Care” as the well-being of humanity, the environment and functioning of the economy ultimately depend upon the responsible management of the planet’s natural resources;
3. Notes that the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) has found that the earth’s ecosystems are nearing critical tipping points of irreversible change, pushed by high population growth and economic development;
4. Notes that the UNEP has stated that by 2050, if current consumption continues and the population reaches the expected 9.6 billion people, we will need three planets to sustain our way of living and consumption; and,
5. Agrees that prosperity should not come at the cost of the planet and that increasing natural resource use and detrimental environmental impacts are not a necessary by-product of economic growth.