You are here
Bushfire Preparedness in Tasmania
Type of vote: Motion (Final Motion) - final vote
Moved by: Liberals
Wednesday, 23 September 2020
That the House:—
(1) Acknowledges the ongoing importance of preparing for bushfires in Tasmania and the leadership the Tasmanian Liberal Government has shown by taking strong action each your since 2014.
(2) Notes that bushfire preparation is a shared responsibility between land owners and occupiers, asset managers, and different levels of Government.
(3) Further acknowledges the significant additional financial contributions from the Australian Government and the State Fire Commission enabling additional aerial resources to be added for the 2020-21 summer bushfire season.
(4) Commends the cooperative approach to planning and preparation of all levels of Government, and recognises the key role Local Government plays in responding to emergencies and during recovery.
(5) Further notes Tasmania is a national leader in bushfire policy and preparation through our Fuel Reduction Program which gives communities and our firefighters a better chance to combat fires.
(6) Further commends the Tasmanian Fire Service and other firefighting agencies and landowners for a highly successful autumn and winter burning program, and notes the spring burning campaign is already underway.
(7) Further notes the Government is developing legislation to make it even easier for landowners to manage risks on their land.
(8) Further notes the Government is also investing in the Red Hot Tips Program to support landowners, and is investing in additional burn crews to get more fuel reduction burning done.
(9) Thanks all volunteers and career staff in our fire agencies, who are making Tasmania safer by year on year increasing our readiness to deal with future fire seasons.