You are here
Bushfires and Climate Emergency
Type of vote: Motion (Final Motion) - final vote
Moved by: Greens
Wednesday, 11 September 2019
That the House -
(1) Acknowledges the bushfire season has started early and ferociously in eastern Australia, with large out of control bushfires in New South Wales and Queensland.
(2) Recognises these fires have caused devastating losses to families and businesses, with firefighters battling horrific high wind conditions with at least one critically injured.
(3) Further acknowledges with concern the bushfires that ravaged 3% of the State last summer, and that these extreme bushfire seasons are going to become more common unless we reverse atmospheric overheating.
(4) Condemns the Liberals for their lack of action on the climate emergency.
(5) Notes the Hodgman Government did not agree to fully implement all of the recommendations of the 2016 Tony Press Report and ignored the recommendations of a Report prepared by Tasmania Fire Service union and authors Simon Pilkington and Alex Dean.
(6) As a hot, dry summer approaches, calls on the Government to table information detailing the changes that have been implemented leading up to the next fire season, including the number of employed and volunteer Remote Area Firefighters now, compared to early 2019, and any increase in resourcing to implement the 2019 Australian Fire and Emergency Service Authorities Council recommendations.