You are here
COVID-19 Economic Recovery
Type of vote: Motion (Final Motion) - final vote
Moved by: Liberals
Wednesday, 19 August 2020
That the House:—
(1) Acknowledges that, while the COVID-19 pandemic emergency has presented a global health crisis, it has also delivered significant economic and social challenges here in Tasmania.
(2) Notes the recent positive Australian Bureau of Statistics’ (ABS) labour force data which showed Tasmania had the highest employment growth in Australia, and the lowest unemployment rate of all the states for the recent reporting period.
(3) Further notes that the ABS data also showed 7,000 more Tasmanians back in work in July 2020, and that 13,400 Tasmanians are now back in work in seasonally adjusted terms since May 2020, the height of the pandemic.
(4) Supports job-creating infrastructure projects like the Government’s Northern Regional Prison project at Brushy Rivulet, which will underpin more than 1000 jobs and deliver an economic boost of $500 million to Northern Tasmania at a time when they need it most.
(5) Further acknowledges the most recent 'CommSec ‘State of the States’ analysis reporting Tasmania with the strongest economy in the country, and this week’s latest 'Sensis Business Index' report for August 2020 which shows Tasmanian businesses are the most confident about our economy in the country.
(6) Recognises that, as public leaders, we have a responsibility to do everything we can to help improve confidence levels in the market, and in our community, to support job creation and job security and to help Tasmania rebuild and recover from the pandemic emergency.