You are here
Fake Chinese Police Vehicles
Type of vote: Motion (Final Motion) - final vote
Moved by: Greens
Wednesday, 4 September 2019
That the House:—
(1) Notes with admiration the struggle of young people in Hong Kong for a more free future and recognises their legitimate fear of Chinese Government control.
(2) Agrees the Chinese Government is an oppressive regime that uses fear and intimidation tactics to suppress dissent.
(3) Further notes with concern the recent reports of vehicles in Tasmania with Chengguan municipal police markings.
(4) Recognises that to many Chinese people, the Chengguan local police force represents arbitrary arrest, detention and violent oppression under the Chinese Government.
(5) Further agrees the timing and nature of these reports of fake Chinese police cars across the country suggest that they are profoundly unlikely to be unconnected ‘jokes’.
(6) Further notes comments made by former residents of Hong Kong now living in Tasmania that the sight of this vehicle evoked great fear.
(7) Asserts that foreign powers do not have the right to infringe on the safety and security of citizens and guests of Tasmania.
(8) Will not tolerate the continued harassment and intimidation tactics being used by Chinese Government-aligned individuals and organisations in Tasmania.
(9) Calls on the Attorney-General to develop an amendment Bill to ban in Tasmania, the impersonation of any law enforcement agency of any jurisdiction.