You are here
Glenorchy RSL Club Closure
Type of vote: Motion (Final Motion) - final vote
Wednesday, 31 July 2019
That the House:—
(1) Notes that during the 2018 State Election campaign, Liberal MPs and candidates, including the Premier, Hon. Will Hodgman MP and Treasurer, Hon. Peter Gutwein MP stood outside the Glenorchy RSL and falsely claimed that without poker machines the venue would close, threatening ANZAC Day celebrations.
(2) Further notes with sadness the unexpected closure of the Glenorchy RSL on Sunday 21 July 2019, the loss of eleven local jobs and a service highly valued by Glenorchy veterans.
(3) Agrees the Tasmanian Liberal Party, the Premier, Treasurer, and Liberal candidates perpetrated a lie on the Tasmanian people in the lead up to the State Election on behalf of their gambling industry donors.
(4) Calls on the Premier, on behalf of the Liberal Party and its elected representatives to apologise to:—
(a) veterans and staff from the now closed Glenorchy RSL for shamelessly exploiting them for political gain; and
(b) Tasmanian voters for misleading them on the impact of removing poker machines from pubs and clubs.
(5) Further agrees poker machines should be removed from pubs and clubs.