You are here
Global Climate Strike
Type of vote: Motion (Amendment)
Moved by: Liberals
Wednesday, 25 September 2019
|Hickey, Labor, Liberals||Greens, Ogilvie|
That the Motion be amended -
(1) By inserting the following new clause after clause (2): “(3) Notes the Tasmanian Government acknowledges that the impact of climate change is a serious issue that requires local, national and international action.”
(2) In clause (3) by inserting the following words after the word “futures”: “noting that Tasmania is one of the lowest net emitters of carbon dioxide on the planet.”
(3) By inserting the following new clauses after clause (3):
( ) “Notes that Tasmania has the lowest per capita emissions out of all states and territories.”
( ) “Acknowledges that Tasmania will be 100% renewable in terms of electricity generation by 2022, well in advance of the 2030 target being called for.”
( ) “Notes Tasmania’s Climate Change Action Plan 2017-2021 sets our agenda for reducing emissions and taking action on climate change through to 2021.”
( ) “Encourages all Tasmanians to engage and fully understand Tasmania’s global leading position on climate change.”
(4) In clause (4) by leaving out the word “support” and inserting instead the following words “Acknowledges the concerns that have led to”.
That the House:—
(1) Acknowledges on 20 September 2019 as part of a Global Climate Strike, over 15,000 people gathered on Parliament House Lawns in Hobart, with others striking around the State in Launceston, Devonport, Burnie, Wynyard, Zeehan, Currie and St Helens.
(2) Recognises there is widespread and growing public demand for climate action in the form of mass mobilisation and protest around the State, Country and the global community, with an estimated 150 million people taking part in the global climate strikes.
(3) Commits to standing by young people and the wider community in their fight for climate action and for their futures.
(4) Supports the global climate strike movement.
Amendment to Amendment - 25 Sep 2019 (Negatived)
An amendment to amend the Liberal's amended in order to retain the word support for the climate strike movement.