You are here
Type of vote: Motion (Amendment)
Wednesday, 25 September 2019
That the Motion be amended by:
(1) In clause (6) leaving out the words “would support the creation of 500 jobs” and inserting instead the words “could create significant economic activity and employment”.
(2) Leaving out clause (7) and inserting instead “(7) Notes that the Tasmanian Government is well advanced in developing a Tasmanian Hydrogen Industry Strategy that will facilitate us as a key player in the future hydrogen market.”
That the House:—
(1) Notes the potential of the creation of hundreds of jobs in the establishment of a Hydrogen Industry in Tasmania.
(2) Recognises that a number of Asian countries, in particular Japan and South Korea are looking to Australia to provide Hydrogen energy to support them in their transition to Hydrogen.
(3) Acknowledges the work being done nationally, led by Chief Scientist, Alan Finkle in Chairing the National Hydrogen Strategy Group, in the establishment of a National Hydrogen Strategy, due to be released by the end of 2019.
(4) Further recognises the local community and industry leadership in the Tamar Valley advocating for the creation of this industry in Tasmania.
(5) Further notes that the States of Queensland, Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia all have well established standalone State based strategies to maximise the economic opportunity for Hydrogen in their respective States.
(6) Further notes that it is estimated that a hydrogen plant, converting renewable energy into hydrogen for export, would support the creation of 500 jobs in northern Tasmania.
(7) Condemns the lack of action by the Hodgman Government on this opportunity and their failure to produce a strategy that would allow Tasmania to support the development of this new industry with the hundreds of jobs it would create. These are renewable and skilled jobs that are being squandered by the Hodgman Government because it doesn't have the vision or passion to make this potential billion dollar industry a reality for Tasmania.
Amendment to Amendment - 25 Sep 2019 (Negatived)
An amendment to replace the Liberal's amendment with an amendment clarifying that support is only given to renewable Hydrogen production.