You are here
Location of Northern Prison
Type of vote: Motion (Amendment)
Moved by: Liberals
Wednesday, 16 October 2019
|Hickey, Liberals, Ogilvie||Greens, Labor|
That the Motion be amended by leaving out all words after “That the House” and inserting instead:
"(1) Notes the Government’s announcement on 30 September 2019 of a preferred site nearby to the Valley Central industrial precinct at Westbury for the new $270 million Northern Regional Prison and the important community consultation that began on that day.
(2) Notes the enormous economic benefits and jobs this vital project will provide to Westbury and Northern and North West Tasmania.
(3) Notes the importance of the Government’s consultation program with local residents, businesses, the Meander Valley Council and other key stakeholders to ensure community feedback can be taken into consideration and help inform future decisions about the project."
That the House:-
(1) Notes the concern of Westbury residents about the decision of the Hodgman Liberal Government to build a new maximum security prison on their doorstep.
(2) Laments the secrecy and lack of consultation with the community prior to the announcement.
(3) Calls on the Hodgman Liberal Government to detail how much it has paid a public relations firm to outsource the consultation process.
(4) Further calls on the Hodgman Liberal Government to reveal the other nine shortlisted sites to fully inform debate about the best location for the northern prison.