You are here
Proposal for Prison at Westbury
Type of vote: Motion (Amendment)
Moved by: Liberals
Wednesday, 30 October 2019
|Liberals, Ogilvie||Greens, Labor|
That the Motion be amended by leaving out all words after “(1) Recognises the concerns of Westbury residents” and inserting instead:
“ about the preferred site for the Northern Regional Prison.
(2) Notes the major benefits such a project, including hundreds of jobs, will bring to Westbury and the Meander Valley region.
(3) Notes the Government’s community consultation has begun with local residents and businesses including weekly community drop-in sessions to help address community concerns.
(4) Notes the Government’s assurance that it is listening to community feedback.”
That the House:—
(1) Recognises the concerns of Westbury residents who do not support a Maximum Security Prison being built on their doorstep.
(2) Calls on the Government to abandon Westbury as the preferred site for the project.
(3) Further calls on the Government to release the nine other shortlisted sites to fully inform public debate over alternative sites.
(4) Requires the Government to consult with shortlisted communities before making an announcement about a new preferred location for the Northern Prison.
Amendment to Amendment - 30 Oct 2019 (Negatived)
Amends the amendment to call on the Government to consider repurposing Ashley Youth Detention Centre for a Northern Prison.