You are here
Sentencing Amendment (Mandatory Sentencing for Serious Sexual Offences Against Children) Bill 2018
Type of vote: Bill (Amendment)
Moved by: Labor
Wednesday, 1 May 2019
amendment has been proposed by Ms Haddad, by leaving out all the words after ‘That’ and inserting: -
(1) The Bill be referred to a Select Committee with power to send for persons and papers to inquire into and report upon:
(a) The provisions of the Bill in relation to the following matters:
(i) sentencing options for child sex offences; and
(ii) current and recent sentencing trends in Tasmanian courts for sex offences against children.
(b) Alternative sentencing options to those provided in the Bill.
(c) Other matters incidental thereto.
(2) That the following Members be appointed to serve on the committee:-
(a) three Members nominated by the Premier;
(b) two Members nominated by the Leader of the Opposition; and
(c) one Member nominated by the Leader of the Tasmanian Greens.
(3) A quorum for any meeting of the committee shall be three, one of whom one is the Chair of the Committee or Deputy Chair.
(4) That the committee report by 28 November 2019.
(5) That should the House not be sitting, a report may be presented to the Speaker of the House, or in their absence, the Clerk of the House, and any report so presented is taken to have been published by order of the House of Assembly.
Subject of Debate
That the Sentencing Amendment (Mandatory Sentencing for Serious Sexual Offences Against Children) Bill 2018 be now read the Second time.