You are here
Type of vote: Motion (Amendment)
Moved by: Greens
Wednesday, 26 September 2018
Amendment proposed (Ms O’Connor) in paragraph (4) by leaving out all words after “top” and inserting instead “five export destinations were China, Malaysia, Japan, Taiwan and Thailand representing $2.25 billion worth of our total exports”
That the House:—
(1) Notes that the most recent export figures released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) show Tasmania exported a near-record $3.7 billion of goods in the year to July 2018.
(2) Further notes that Tasmania leads the nation with 29.2 per cent growth in exports over 2017, which is nearly four times higher than the national rate of growth.
(3) Further notes that over 80 per cent of Tasmanian goods exports were into Asian markets, with top export sectors being mining and mineral products, as well as agriculture and seafood.
(4) Further notes that Tasmania’s top two export destinations were China and Malaysia, representing $1.42 billion worth of our total exports.
(5) Further notes that this continued strong growth in exports demonstrates the success of the Government’s plan to open up new opportunities for Tasmanian products, underpinned by Trade Missions with the business sector to important export markets.
(6) Further notes that the Government’s strong focus on trade is leading to new investment and job creating opportunities in Tasmania.