You are here
Unemployment and Jobs
Type of vote: Motion (Amendment)
Moved by: Greens
Wednesday, 7 August 2019
Amendment proposed (Ms O’Connor) in paragraph (9) by leaving out the words “policy for” and inserting instead the words “only policy -"
That the House:—
(1) Notes that Tasmania’s jobless rate is 6.7%, which is the worst in Australia.
(2) Further notes that the jobless rate for Tasmanian women is 7.1%, the highest in Australia.
(3) Further notes that more than 6,200 Tasmanian full time jobs have been lost in the last year, 4,100 of whom were women.
(4) Further notes that the jobless rate for Tasmanians under 25 years old is 13.5%, the second worst in Australia.
(5) Further notes that Tasmania’s underemployment rate is 10.4%, which is the worst in the nation.
(6) Further notes that average duration of unemployment in Tasmania is 70.9 weeks, well above the national average.
(7) Further notes that there are fewer Tasmanians in full-time work than when the Liberals were elected in 2014.
(8) Acknowledges that the Government is failing to grow secure, full time jobs in Tasmania.
(9) Calls on the Government to adopt Labor’s policy for free TAFE courses across key industry sectors where there are skills shortages, including disability and aged care, building and construction, and hospitality.